Sunday 23 September 2012

REVIEW:


Spur of the Moment
By Candace Bowen Early

~ Adult fiction, Historical romance, Time travel ~


Paperback, 350 pages
Published February 1st 2012 by Rhemalda Publishing (first published January 29th 2012)
 
* * * * out of five stars
 
 
 
 


The Blurb: (Via Goodreads)

Best-selling author Bronwyn Chase never quite fit in with the 21st century. On a publicity trip to New York City, a mysterious woman claiming to be a mystic from Bronwyn’s past gives her a silver knights spur. Asked to save Euric, a man she never knew existed, Bronwyn finds herself transported to 12th-century Cornwall. Landing at the feet of an entranced Euric, she discovers the instant connection she feels to him comes from a midsummer rite gone horribly awry on the eve of her birth. Forced to face a dark wicce who plans to use Euric for her own nefarious ends, Bronwyn summons her own mystical birthright to free him.

My Review

I'm just going to say it how it is: I reeeeeeeeeeeeally enjoyed this book; probably more so than the sequel.

I instantly liked Bronwyn and thought her character was very well developed. I also felt that the author cared very much for her too.
There was room in the story for Bronwyn to grow; we see how she deals with her past circumstances and also, how she deals with an agent who manipulates and uses her for her own gain. Her realisations, her strengths and her weaknesses.

Her voice was easy to accept and follow which kept the pages turning.

Thinking about it, I pretty much liked all the characters; which were well developed and interesting- especially Albert. You definitely need someone like him around!
Even the characters who you were not meant to like were well written. Janelle was perfect as a power mad, crazy bitch! Some the confrontations between her and Bronwyn were wonderfully charged and exciting! (C'mon Bronwyn -Kick her evil little butt!)

What really stood out for me with this story, is how the author dealt with Bronwyn's going back in time; I found myself giggling at points - there were some genuinely humorous  moments; especially concerning language and understanding form both parties!

As many of you have already read, I am not a huge romance fan, but the story between Bronwyn and Euric was wonderful to watch unfurl. Sometimes, romantic scenes can make me cringe as I feel they are overdone and "movie" style. "Cheesy" But I felt the author was very careful with the love and romance element. (which, pleasantly, resulted in my keeping lunch down! Hehe!) The author was very good at leading the reader down a road with description and leaving it just at the right stage for the reader to fill in the blanks. The interactions, thoughts and feelings were well described and believable.

There came a point  in which the story felt like it had finished... With 40% of the story left to go; I did wonder how the author was going to continue.. But I wasn't disappointed; in fact it was very satisfying and answered a lot of my questions about her future with Euric.

All this was set in the beautiful, historic and mystic Tinatgel in Cornwall. This was a wonderful story to get lost in.





No comments:

Post a Comment